Carboniferous fortress (from the irish carraig ḟergus or “cairn of Fergus”, the call “Fergus” that means “robust guy”) is a Norman citadel in northern ireland, situated in the metropolis of carrickfergus in county antrim, at the northern shore of belfast lough. besieged in turn with the aid of the Scottish, irish, English and french, the castle played an crucial navy position until 1928 and remains one of the first-class preserved medieval structures in northern ireland. it was strategically beneficial, with 3/4 of the fort perimeter surrounded by way of water (despite the fact that nowa days most effective 1/3 is surrounded by water because of land reclamation). today it’s miles maintained with the aid of the northern eire surroundings enterprise as a kingdom care historic monument, at grid ref: j4143 8725.
Carrickfergus turned into built with the aid of john DE courtly in 1177 as his headquarters, after he conquered Jap ulster in 1177 and dominated as a petty king till 1204, whilst he turned into ousted by way of another Norman adventurer, Hugh DE lacy. first of all DE courcy built the inner ward, a small bailey on the end of the promontory with a high polygonal curtain wall and east gate. it had several buildings, consisting of the wonderful corridor. from its strategic function on a rocky promontory, at the start nearly surrounded by means of sea, the fort commanded carrickfergus bay (later referred to as belfast lough), and the land procedures into the walled city that advanced underneath its shadow.
It appears first within the respectable English facts in 1210 when king john laid siege to it and took manipulate of what became then ulster’s most reliable strategic garrison. following its seize, constables have been appointed to command the fort and the surrounding location. in 1217 the brand new constable, DE serlane, was assigned a hundred pounds to build a new curtain wall so that the method along the rock might be protected, as well as the Jap strategies over the sand uncovered at low tide. the center-ward curtain wall was later decreased to floor stage inside the eighteenth century, shop alongside the seaward side, where it survives with a postern gate and the east tower, high-quality for a exceptional array of move-bow loops at basement degree.
A chamber on the first ground of the east tower is believed to were the fort’s chapel as a consequence of its nice Romanesque-style double window surround, though the unique chapel need to had been inside the inner ward. the ribbed vault over the doorway passage, the murder hollow and the massive portcullis at either give up of the gatehouse are later insertions started by way of Hugh DE lacey who died in 1248 and did not live to see its of completion in around 1250. it become finished through king henry iii.
After the fall apart of the earldom of ulster in 1333, the fort remained the crown’s principal residential and administrative centre in the north of eire. at some stage in the early tiers of the nine years struggle (1595–1603), when English affect within the north became tenuous, crown forces had been furnished and maintained through the town’s port. and in 1597, the surrounding country turned into the scene for the conflict of carrickfergus.
Throughout the 16th and 17th centuries upgrades had been made to accommodate artillery, along with externally splayed gunports and embrasures for cannon, even though those enhancements did not prevent the castle from being attacked and captured on many occasions for the duration of this time. marshal schomberg besieged and took the castle within the week-lengthy siege of carrickfergus in 1689. this is also the area wherein schomberg’s chief, king william iii first set foot in eire on 14 june 1690.
In 1760, after fierce combating within the town, it become surrendered to french invaders underneath the command of francois thurot. they looted the fortress and city and then left, best to be stuck by the royal navy.
In 1778, a small but substantial event in the american conflict of independence commenced at carrickfergus, while john Paul jones, within the face of reluctance through his crew to approach too close to the fortress, lured a royal military vessel from its moorings into the north channel, and received an hour-long warfare. in 1797 the fort, which had on various occasions been used to house prisoners of warfare, became a prison and it changed into heavily defended all through the Napoleonic wars; six weapons on the east battery continue to be of the twenty- that were used in 1811.
For a century it remained a magazine and armoury. during the first international struggle it become used as a garrison and ordnance shop and at some stage in the second one global conflict as an air raid refuge.
It turned into garrisoned constantly for approximately 750 years till 1928, while its possession become transferred from the british army to the brand new authorities of northern ireland for protection as an ancient monument. lots of its publish-norman and Victorian additions were then removed to restore the fort’s original norman look. it stays open to the general public. the banqueting hall has been absolutely restored and there are numerous famous to reveal what life changed into like in medieval times. it was constructed and re-constructed 3 instances, and nevertheless stands these days.
At the day of his wedding, 29 april 2011, prince william of wales become created duke of Cambridge, earl of strathearn, and baron carrickfergus. the latter title of peerage, along with the geographical barony itself, had been extinct on the grounds that victorian times. the name is now simplest ceremonial without a authentic connection to the fortress.
Governors of Carrickfergus
1568: william piers
1597: john chichester (killed 1597)
1599: arthur chichester, 1st baron chichester (died 1625)
1606–: sir devoted fortescue and roger langford
1625–1648: edward chichester, 1st viscount chichester
1648: arthur chichester, 1st earl of donegall (changed)
1648: fashionable george monck (for parliament)
1649–1650: thomas dalzell of binns
1660–1675: arthur chichester, 1st earl of donegall (restored)
1675–1687: arthur chichester, second earl of donegall
1689: charles macarty moore
1716: lord mark kerr
1728–1732: francis seymour-conway, 1st baron conway
1763: nehemiah donnellan
eight september 1787: francis dundas 30 january 1817 – 1828: sir 1st Earl Baldwin of Bewdley leighton 20 november 1828: george moncrieff
12 February 1830 -10 june 1841: lieutenant-preferred sir william hutchinson, okay.c.h. (1765-1845)
the post of governor become abolished in 1841.
The fortress is short walk from carrickfergus railway station. trains join west to belfast lanyon area and belfast wonderful victoria street and east to whitehead and larne harbour operated by way of northern eire railways.