Carrickfergus (from irish: carraig fhearghais, which means “fergus’s rock”) is a huge metropolis in county antrim, northern eire. it sits at the north shore of belfast lough, eleven miles (18 km) from belfast. the city had a populace of 27,903 at the 2011 census. it is county antrim’s oldest metropolis and one of the oldest cities in eire as an entire. carrickfergus was the executive centre for carrickfergus borough council, earlier than this became amalgamated into the mid and east antrim district council in 2015, and paperwork part of the belfast metropolitan region. it is also a townland of 65 acres, a civil parish and a barony.
The town is the problem of the traditional irish folk track “carrickfergus”, a 19th-century translation of an irish-language tune (do bhí bean uasal) from Munster, which begins with the phrases, “i desire i was in carrickfergus”.
The british peerage name of baron carrickfergus, which had turn out to be extinct in 1883, become bestowed upon prince william on his wedding day in 2011.
The town is home to saint nicholas’ parish church, which become established in 1180 and continues to be in use as a place of worship today (carrier instances: sunday: nine:30am holy communion, eleven.00am morning worship, (holy communion first sunday of month) 6:30pm nighttime worship and cafe church (holy communion third sunday of month) wednesday: 10:00am holy communion.)
There are also other top notch church buildings together with that of north street presbyterian church which become one of the first presbyterian church buildings to be hooked up in eire. (offerings on sunday: nine:30 a.m., eleven:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.). there are numerous other church buildings beyond these.
The city is stated to take its call from fergus mór (fergus the awesome), the mythical king of dál riata. in line with one tale, his ship ran aground on a rock by using the shore, which have become known as “carraig fhearghais” – the rock of fergus.
As an city settlement, carrickfergus far per-dates the capital metropolis belfast and became for a prolonged period each larger and greater outstanding than the nearby metropolis. belfast lough itself became called ‘carrickfergus bay’ properly into the seventeenth century. carrickfergus and the encircling area changed into, for a time, dealt with as a separate county. the historical walled town at the beginning occupied a place of around 97,000 rectangular metres, which now contains the town centre, bordered with the aid of albert road to the west, the marine toll road to the south, shaftesbury park to the north and joymount presbyterian church grounds to the east. segments of the city wall are nevertheless seen in numerous parts of the town and in various states of preservation. archaeological excavations near the partitions’ foundations have yielded many artefacts which have helped historians piece together a image of the lives of the twelfth and thirteenth century inhabitants.
Carrickfergus have become an inhabited city quickly after 1170, when anglo-norman knight john de courcy invaded ulster, mounted his headquarters in the place and constructed carrickfergus citadel on the “rock of fergus” in 1177. the citadel, which is the most prominent landmark of carrickfergus, is broadly known as one of the high-quality-preserved norman castles in ireland.
Someday between 1203 and 1205, de courcy changed into expelled from ulster through hugh de lacy, as approved by king john. de lacy oversaw the final production of the fortress, which included the gatehouse, drum towers and outer ward. it changed into at the moment that he installed the nearby st nicholas’ church. de lacy was relieved of his command of the city in 1210, while king john himself arrived and placed the castle underneath royal authority. de lacy finally regained his title of earl of ulster in 1227, however the fortress and its walled metropolis were captured numerous more times following his dying (in 1242) and the metropolis in large part destroyed by the scots in 1402.
The battle of carrickfergus, part of the 9 years struggle, took place in and across the metropolis in november 1597. it become fought between the crown forces of queen elizabeth i and the scots extended family of macdonnell, and ended in a defeat for the English. a modern elizabethan illustration of carrickfergus shows ten tower-houses, as well as terraces of unmarried-storey homes, some indifferent cottages and 70 or greater irish beehive-kind huts inside the metropolis.sir arthur chichester changed into appointed by using the earl of essex to control the fortress and town in 1599 and was liable for the plantation of English and scottish peoples inside the town, in addition to the building of the metropolis wall.
In 1637 the surveyor fashionable of customs issued a document compiled from accounts of customs due from every port and their “subsidiary creeks”. of the ulster ports on the listing, carrickfergus changed into first, observed by means of bangor, donaghadee, and strangford. within the identical yr the metropolis bought its customs rights – which ran from groomsport, county down up to larne, county antrim to belfast. this in part caused its decline in significance as the province of ulster grew.nonetheless, the decaying fortress withstood numerous days of siege via the forces of william of orange in 1689, earlier than surrendering on 28 august. william himself finally landed at carrickfergus on 14 june 1690.
In the course of the seven years’ struggle, in february 1760, the whole metropolis turned into in brief captured and held to ransom via french troops landed from francois thurot’s naval squadron, after the defenders ran out of ammunition. in 1711 carrickfergus turned into the scene of the final witchcraft trial in eire. eight women had been charged with bewitching a young woman, and had been convicted, no matter a strong indication from one of the judges that the jury have to acquit. they were sentenced to a year in prison and four classes inside the pillory.
In april 1778, all through the american war of independence, john paul jones, in control of the yank ship ranger, tried to capture a british royal army sloop of war, hms drake, moored at carrickfergus. having failed, he returned a few days later and challenged drake to a combat out in the north channel which the people gained decisively.
All through the 1790s there has been enormous aid within the carrickfergus vicinity for the united irishmen. on 14 october 1797 william orr turned into hanged inside the city following what become broadly seemed as a show trial held in carrickfergus courthouse (now the town corridor) and in 1798 united irish founder henry joy mccracken changed into captured on the outskirts of the town even as trying to break out to the usa.
In 1912 the humans of carrickfergus became out in their lots to look at because the rms substantial made its first ever adventure up the lough from its production dock in belfast. the famous passenger liner become anchored overnight simply off the coast of carrickfergus, earlier than persevering with on its journey.
Throughout world battle ii, northern ireland become an critical military base for united states of america naval and air operations and a training floor for american g.i.s. the primary battalions of the elite us rangers were activated and based totally in sunnylands camp for their preliminary training. the united states rangers centre in close by boneybefore can pay homage to this era in history. it’s miles rumoured that italian and german pows have been held inside the city, the italians in a camp at sullatober mill, and germans at sunnylands.
Inside the 1970s, the metropolis became an important centre for the fabric enterprise. an ici man-made fibres manufacturing facility changed into opened at kilroot and become followed by using the rothman’s cigarette manufacturing unit. courtaulds operated a big rayon works there till the 1980s.
In 1981, kilroot power station opened and is the largest strength station in northern ireland. carrickfergus now is a centre for leisure sailing, and is domestic to carrickfergus marina and carrickfergus crusing club. the metropolis is a part of the more belfast conurbation, being 11 miles (18 km) from belfast metropolis centre.
On eight september 2007, carrickfergus was the northern irish host for the closing night time at the proms, providing alison balsom, alfie boe, and ulster conductor kenneth Sir Bernard Law.
For the duration of the route of the issues, there has been a reasonably massive paramilitary presence inside the city, specifically the ulster volunteer force and ulster defence association. census figures display that the catholic population of carrickfergus declined from sixteen.2% in 1971 to 9.fifty six% in 2011
Carrickfergus is classified with the aid of the northern ireland statistics and studies agency (Nisan) as a huge metropolis (i.e. populace among 18,000 and 75,000 humans) and in the belfast metropolitan city area (Baum). on census day (27 march 2011) there had been 37,659 human beings living in carrickfergus. of these:
20.1% were elderly below sixteen years and 17.nine% had been aged 60 and over
forty eight.74% of the populace were male and fifty one.26% have been female
Nine.56% have been from a roman catholic community heritage and 85.08% had been from the protestant or different christian network backgrounds.
John de courcy (1160-1219) anglo norman knight and builder of carrickfergus castle
hugh de lacy, 1st earl of ulster (c.1176-c.1242)
edward bruce (c. 1280-1319), high king of ireland and earl of carrick, brother to robert the bruce, king of scots.
robert adrain (1775–1843), mathematician, taken into consideration one of the fine mathematical minds of his time, turned into born in carrickfergus William orr, united irishman become hanged in carrickfergus on 14 october 1797 for his part in the failed rebel.
jonathan quick, the poet and satirist lived in kilroot, on the outskirts of the city, and wrote a tale of a tub there.
charlotte riddell, author of the victorian length, become born charlotte eliza lawson cowan (1832) in carrickfergus.
Bob gilmore (1961-2015), musicologist and player of piano and keyboards, become born in close by larne; lived in carrickfergus during his early life.
victoria move recipients, daniel cambridge and james crichton
seán lester (1888–1959) became born in carrickfergus. he was the ultimate secretary wellknown of the league of nations, from 1940-forty six.
louis macneice’s family moved to the city while the poet became years antique (his father become appointed rector of st nicholas’ church of eire church), and he left at the age of ten to wait boarding faculty in england; one in every of his poems, carrickfergus (1937), relates his ambiguous emotions about the city in which he spent his early boyhood.
sammy curran, a prolific irish league goalscorer between the wars gambling for woodburn and belfast celtic among others, who was also capped four instances through eire.
billy mcmillan, former belfast celtic and twin ifa and fai irish international footballer who lived his whole existence in carrickfergus.
patrick joseph kelly, member and leader of the ira’s east tyrone brigade, killed through the sas in loughgall, was born in carrickfergus.